In their book ‘Putting Staff First’, John Tomsett and Jonny Uttley outlined a blueprint for revitalising our schools. Dylan Wiliam described it as “the most complete and compelling vision” he had seen “for a school that places teacher learning at the heart of its endeavours”. In this project, John Tomsett and Jonny Uttley provide a three-strand approach to staff wellbeing which optimises working conditions.
The Putting Staff First project involves:
- Setting up a Staff Wellbeing Team based upon the Kaizen model of organisational improvement
- Establishing a Workload Charter which is lived rather than laminated
- Developing an industry standard succession planning programme which is woven into schools’ performance management systems.
- To improve your school’s operational systems from the bottom up
- To improve working conditions and so deepen your colleagues’ commitment to the school
- To enhance your professional development offer and improve staff retention rates.
- Introduction to the three strands
- What do you want out of it?
- Building in evaluation from the off
- Gap task – who, what, when and how many strands
What’s the plan?
- Refining planning
- Implementation activities
- Gap task – detailed planning including baseline data
What might go wrong?
- Checklist: is everything ready
- Undertaking a pre-mortem
- Final advice on implementation and how to conduct a process evaluation
Action and Impact
- What next?
- Measuring impact over coming year