- To upskill TAs to a level where their impact on facilitating the progress of SEND pupils can be measured in classrooms and intervention sessions.
- To understand how SEND barriers to learning are manifested and strategies to use when working with SEND pupils to maximise their learning.
- To enable TAs to effectively facilitate the learning of SEND pupils across the curriculum
- Through effective support by TAs, SEND pupils will be able to self-regulate better and increase their readiness for and focus on learning.
- SEND pupils supported by TAs will know more and remember more and achieve more independent working as a result of effectively facilitated learning.
- Intervention sessions for SEND pupils provided by Teaching Assistants will be effectively targeted at their barriers to learning so that the gaps in learning are closing.
- These two sessions on supporting SEND pupils can be accessed via Zoom as stand alone sessions or as part of the TA series which commences in Spring ’22.
- Access to a bank of useful supporting resources will be available for each session to allow personal learning to turn instantly into professional practice.
- Practical and experiential gap tasks will be set and reviewed with the programme tutor and peers, creating a learning network.
Understanding the 4 SEND areas of needs
An overview of the 4 SEND area of needs, looking at the range of needs within each of the SEND areas, the barriers to learning associated with the needs, and strategies to facilitate access to learning within the classroom.
The TA as a facilitator to support the learning of SEND pupils in the classroom
- To look at research on how SEND pupils can be supported to know more and remember more.
- To understand the different roles the TA plays in supporting SEND pupils effectively, looking at EEF and DISS research
- To explore effective questioning for SEND pupils when supporting a learning activity
- To explore a range of interventions for SEND pupils TAs are asked to lead, and how their effectiveness in delivery can be maximised
How do I take part?
CPD to transform practice
Prior knowledge of delegates will be captured in advance of each session to ensure that each session meets the needs of all participating schools.
In every session, opportunities will be provided for guided practice under the support of a skilled practitioner. Gap tasks will be set at the end of each session, which require participants to practice the modelled techniques in their own settings.
Explain & Elaborate
In every session, opportunities will be provided for participants to draw upon their observations and reflections following the gap task.
Opportunities will be built into every session for participants to evaluate the success of the modelled strategies on learners.