- This event has passed.
Teaching Vocabulary Spectacularly Well in KS1 and KS2
Tuesday, March 15, 2022 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
What we’ve learned in recent years, is that vocabulary is a proxy for academic success!
Limited vocabulary prevents children from accessing their learning, developing self-esteem, and enjoying meaningful social interactions.
One of the most important considerations for classroom practitioners is choosing and adapting methods according to their suitability and relevance, whatever their age.
It is important to bear in mind that vocabulary is ‘caught’ as well as ‘taught’.
Every interaction with a child provides an opportunity to extend vocabulary, model Standard English, encourage the use of extended sentences, and to have fun with language!
In this session Emma Adcock will:
- Share practical ways in which to not only, teach vocabulary so that it sticks in long-term memory for pupils in KS1 and KS2.
- Provide practical strategies to use across the curriculum.
- Explore the importance of creating a whole school vocabulary spine and provide a blueprint for the creation of a whole school vocabulary spine.
Audience: Teachers, Teaching Assistants
- Know and understand how to implement robust vocabulary instruction in their own settings.
- Understand the importance of interleaving to ensure that definitions are stored in the long-term memory.
- Support teachers in constructing a whole-school vocabulary spine.
- Take away a bank of activities to support the teaching of vocabulary.
- Be equipped with a range of tried and tested strategies and practical ideas to support the teaching of vocabulary across KS1 and KS2.
- Understand how to teach vocabulary so that definitions stick in the long-term memory.
- Be provided with a blueprint to support the writing of a whole-school vocabulary spine.
Recordings of the sessions and resources will be available for your use in school.
The cost is per person.