- This event has passed.
Teaching Reading in Key Stage 2
Monday, November 21, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Reading is a cornerstone of a child’s education and the key to their success in life-long learning.
This course, led by Emma Adcock, will introduce a clear and logical sequence for teaching reading at KS2 that moves children towards independence.
As children increase their knowledge of our complex written code and their reading becomes more automatic, more attention can be directed towards comprehension.
The session will provide KS2 teachers with a set of principles and practices that will ensure that pupils can read strategically in order to gain the core purpose from a challenging, quality text.
This course is suitable for KS2 teachers, English leads.
- To consider the most effective ways to teach Reading Comprehension.
- To review best practices in teaching Reading Comprehension linked to current research.
- To develop understanding of the use of modelling and the use of questioning to support the teaching of reading.
- To understand the role that fluency instruction plays in supporting a child’s understanding of a text.
This course will:
- Develop your understanding of how to teach KS2 reading effectively.
- Provide you with some quick takeaways that can be easily put into practice.
- Develop your understanding of how to support the lowest 20% access the reading lesson.