Supporting Independence for Teaching Assistants
Thursday, May 2, 2024 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Supporting Teaching Assistants to provide the ‘least help first’ when supporting pupils in the classroom.
Are you concerned that your pupils are developing a ‘learned helplessness’? Do your pupils often say: “What do I do next?”
If you answered yes to either of these questions, then this webinar is for you! This session, led by VNET Associate Emma Adcock, will set out a series of prompts to support school leaders in implementing the EEF’s Scaffolding Framework and Making the Best Use of Teaching Assistants. It will also ensure that TA support moves away from task completion to a focus on learning and that discussions with pupils support dialogic understanding.
Audience: School leaders wanting to maximise their teaching assistants’ impact
This session will include:
- Strategies to ensure pupils better manage their own learning
- An introduction to a self-scaffolding framework
- Strategies to encourage independent learning
- Tips for Teaching Assistants on when to intervene and support pupil learning.
- To provide practical guidance to enable pupils to learn more independently
- To explore how teaching assistants can encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own learning through providing ‘least help first’.