- This event has passed.
Decoding and Encoding Phonics for KS2 Teachers – Session 1 of 2
Wednesday, September 15, 2021 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
As children join Key Stage 2, they may be experiencing difficulty in reading and/or writing because they have missed or misunderstood a crucial phase of systematic phonics teaching. This training is aimed at supporting pupils in KS2 who may have missed, or not fully understood some of the crucial stages of synthetic, systematic phonics teaching in Reception and Key Stage 1.
This course, led by Emma Adcock, will cover how to identify encoding gaps in Key Stage 2, and how best to tackle gaps in phonics knowledge in a Key Stage 2 classroom.
Year 3 and KS2 teachers.
- To develop an understanding of the acquisition of phonological awareness and progression of learning within the phonic phases 1-6.
- Develop confidence in identifying the phonic gaps pupils have.
- Develop confidence in planning and delivering high-quality phonics lessons in KS2 to address any gaps in understanding.
- To know and understand how to deliver phonics lessons to meet the needs of their KS2 pupils.
- Teachers will have a good understanding of how to teach the alphabetical code.
- Leaders will be provided with take away age-appropriate resources and exemplar planning to support the teaching of phase 5.
Session 2: Thursday 23 September 2021.