Planning an English Unit in KS2 (and why it’s like the Great British Sewing Bee!)
Tuesday, June 6, 2023 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Writing for Audience and Purpose in KS2 – are all Sewing Bee challenges created equal?
Join VNET’s Emma Adcock to unpack why planning a KS2 writing unit from scratch is rather like the Great British Sewing Bee! Learn how pupils can develop their grammatical skills in the pattern challenge, how they can use their prior knowledge of what a text looks like and sounds like in the Transformation Challenge and how they can apply the knowledge and skills that they have learned across a strong sequence of sessions in the Made-to-measure challenge!
In this half day session KS2 teachers will be asked to:
- Bring a text that they plan to teach
- Have previously identified the extended writing outcomes for their unit.
Emma Adcock will work alongside teachers to ensure that by the end of the session teachers have a writing unit that they can take back to their classrooms and teach to their pupils.
- Know and understand how to apply the teaching sequence for writing to a writing unit
- Know how to implement sequential planning that builds upon prior learning
- Know and understand the importance of deliberate writing practice in lessons
- Know how to scaffold pupils’ knowledge of text features and grammatical skills so that they can apply their knowledge independently
- Know how to adapt tasks so that all pupils achieve the intended learning outcomes.
- Delegates will know and understand how to sequence and structure learning across an English unit.