How to build a whole school vocabulary spine workshop
Tuesday, March 21, 2023 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
An important element of building a knowledge-rich curriculum, is the identification of the vocabulary that you want pupils across the primary years to know, use and remember.
This is supported by the EEF who have emphasised the importance of aligning vocabulary and curriculum development.
This hands-on course will enable you to:
- Identify the essential vocabulary that pupils will learn in your school’s curriculum, in every subject, from early years to year 6.
- See examples of how other schools have approached this task.
- Know and understand how to teach vocabulary so that it sticks in pupils’ long-term memory.
- Build in opportunities in your curriculum to revisit previously taught vocabulary.
- To support teachers and leaders in creating a whole-school vocabulary spine linked to their curriculum.
- To understand how to teach vocabulary so that it sticks in the long-term memory.
- To ensure that vocabulary in your school is revisited in future year units of work and in different year groups.
- Teachers and Leaders will leave the vocabulary workshop with:
- An understanding of the term vocabulary instruction.
- The beginnings of a whole-school vocabulary spine that supports prior and future learning.