Geography Body of Knowledge
Thursday, June 29, 2023 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Constructing sequential curriculum provision for Geography EYFS – Year 6
David Weatherly will be leading this ‘Body of Knowledge’ session. He will unpick and work through a pre-written, whole-school curriculum plan explaining why particular areas of knowledge, skills and vocabulary have been chosen for children to learn in each year group. He will then demonstrate how to make a unit of work based upon this.
The session will cover how the following four areas of knowledge and understanding in Geography can be sequenced across provision EYFS through to Year 6:
- Substantive knowledge
- Disciplinary knowledge (techniques and skills)
- Conceptual understanding (second order and substantive)
- Specialist vocabulary and technical terms.
Colleagues will leave with a full comprehension of:
- The distinctive elements of progression in Geography from EYFS to Year 6
- How these elements can be planned in a sequenced programme from EYFS to Year 6
- Understanding the individual geographical investigations that comprise the programme.
- Enhanced subject provision using the framework outlined to review, refine and extend practice in school.