- This event has passed.
Introducing ‘Understanding the World ELG: Past and Present’ in the Early Years
Thursday, May 26, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
The Early Years Foundation Stage reforms to the Understanding the World educational programme, together with the new Past and Present Early Learning Goal have accentuated the need to establish strong and identifiable History provision at the foundation stage. The day will provide timely and valuable support for EYFS and History leads seeking to clarify their understanding and manage the implementation of the revised learning and development and assessment requirements for History in the EYFS.
All colleagues will leave the day:
- Understanding the major concepts and skills that underpin History teaching and learning and how these help children make sense of the world at the foundation stage.
- Able to plan progression in historical knowledge, understanding and subject vocabulary.
- Knowing how to ensure curriculum continuity, sequencing, and development with Key Stage 1 and across mixed aged classes.
- Recognising how the Characteristics of Learning and links to other Areas of Learning can be key drivers in developing historical enquiry at the foundation stage.
- Having reviewed examples of learning enquiries using artefacts, storytelling, talk, visits, role play and primary sources to develop a child’s understanding of ‘past’.
- With an extensive range of CPD materials to support the development of effective practice amongst colleagues in their own schools and settings.
Tutors: David Weatherly and Sheena Wright
- David Weatherly is a School Improvement Adviser and an accomplished teacher at all stages of learning. He is the author of the award-winning Primary Connected History and Primary Connected Geography schemes published by Harper Collins.
- Sheena Wright is an EYFS Education Consultant and a former local authority Early Years Lead Adviser with over twenty years of successful teaching experience across the full primary age range.