- This event has passed.
Assessment and Retrieval Session 1
Tuesday, June 27, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Are you developing or looking at how assessment is used in your school for all subjects so that it informs both teaching and the development of the curriculum? Are you using assessment effectively to identify and check understanding if children know more and remember more whilst also taking into account the requirements of the EIF that assessment should be both purposeful and not overburdensome?
This course will be split into two sessions and will take a refreshed look at assessment in light of the EIF.
The first session will look at assessment in general, both formative and summative.
The second session looks more deeply into the research behind retrieval practice, how to embed it into everyday practice and examples to take back into school.
- To explore ways in which assessment can be effectively used as part of the school’s approach to maintaining a high-quality education.
- To have a clear understanding how assessment can be used to inform teaching, and as leaders evaluate learning and adapt the curriculum.
- To explore how retrieval practice, used well, can support children to know more and remember more and make better progress through the curriculum.
- Participants will have a greater clarity on the research and evidence behind memory and retrieval practice and its use in class to support children to know more and remember more.
- Participants will be able to review current assessment processes in school and evaluate how effective these are to support both learning and the adaptations of the curriculum.
The course is led by Ruth McGlone, ex-headteacher with extensive leadership experience.