VNET and DNEAT are working in partnership to bring this TA course to all DNEAT schools.
- To enable you to effectively support learning in both English and
- To improve your confidence in phonics knowledge
- To improve your confidence in maths subject knowledge
- To equip you to support behaviour management in the classroom
- To enable you to effectively facilitate the learning of SEND pupils
- With the support of Teaching Assistants, pupils will become more
proficient in English and Mathematics
- Through effective support by Teaching Assistants, pupils will be able to self-regulate better and increase their readiness for and focus on learning
- Teaching Assistants will feel better able to support behaviour in the classroom and learning for SEND pupils
- The course consists of 8 sessions
- The sessions will be delivered live via Zoom
- Recordings of the session will be available to use at your convenience
- Access to a bank of useful supporting resources will be available for each unit to allow personal learning to turn instantly into professional practice
- Practical and experiential gap tasks will be set and reviewed with the programme tutor and peers, creating a learning network.
- To know and be able to use the best strategies for supporting behaviour management in class, including knowledge of the school’s behaviour policy
- Tips and strategies on supporting children to regulate their own behaviour
- To understand the teaching assistant’s role alongside other professionals when faced with challenging behaviour.
- To familiarise delegates with the expectations of teaching word reading and spelling using the DfE Reading Framework (July 21)
- To support TAs in developing strong subject knowledge of both decoding and encoding principles.
- To understand how to deliver phonics sessions which meet the need of their groups.
- To build confidence in grammar subject knowledge
- To know and understand KS1, KS2 grammar terminology
- To know and understand how grammatical skills build year on year.
- To develop understanding of the progression of sentence construction
- To familiarise delegates with the key aspects of sentences to improve writing
- To be equipped with a range of practical strategies to use in the classroom to support and improve sentences.
Supporting Vocabulary Instruction
- To be provided with a robust approach to the teaching of vocabulary.
- To know how to use specific retrieval strategies to enable children to learn and retain new vocabulary.
- To know how to teach vocabulary effectively in under 15 minutes.
CPA in Maths
- TAs will know and understand the term CPA and know how to use each element to improve the understanding of abstract topics.
- TAs will create their own toolkit of manipulatives to support the teaching of Number.
- To know and understand the best strategies to support the CPA approach in their classrooms.
- TAs will know and understand how pictorial and concrete understanding can help pupils to develop their calculations.
- TAs will understand the progression of mental and written calculations across the primary age range.
- TAs will understand the expectations for the children they are supporting.
Supporting SEND pupils in the classroom
- To understand the different roles the TA plays in supporting SEND pupils effectively, looking at EEF and DISS research
- To be provided with useful strategies and resources to support SEND pupils in the classroom
How do I take part?
CPD to transform practice
Prior knowledge of delegates will be captured in advance of each session to ensure that each session meets the needs of all participating schools.
In every session, opportunities will be provided for guided practice under the support of a skilled practitioner. Gap tasks will be set at the end of each session, which require participants to practise the modelled techniques in their own settings.
Explain & Elaborate
In every session, opportunities will be provided for participants to draw upon their observations and reflections following the gap task.
Opportunities will be built into every session for participants to evaluate the success of the
modelled strategies on learners.